Accessing Council Funding for Home Care – A Comprehensive Guide

James Bowdler

27 June, 2023

2 min read

Caring for your elderly parents can be a delicate balancing act. The worry about their well-being mixed with the undeniable, albeit guilt-laden, sense of burden can be challenging. This is where we at PrimeCarers come into the picture. We connect you with private carers at competitive prices to ensure your loved ones get the care they deserve.

Cost of Care – The Complete Guide to Paying and Funding Your Care in 2024
Read Now

What Is Council Funding for Home Care?

As the ebb and flow of life continues, we inevitably find ourselves caring for our ageing parents. At times, the escalating need for extra help becomes evident, transforming our usual roles and responsibilities. And here, my dear friends, is where the concept of ‘Council Funding for Home Care’ steps in as a beacon of hope.

Picture council funding as a kind-hearted neighbour, ready to lend you a hand. It is a form of financial assistance, a lifeline extended by your local council to help shoulder the cost of home care services. This state-funded aid is not a universal entitlement; its provision commences with what we call a ‘needs assessment’.

The needs assessment is a meticulous process, a step towards understanding and quantifying the support your elderly loved ones need. Here’s the twist though – it’s not just about determining the type of assistance needed, but also about discerning whether you’re eligible for council funding in the first place.

Let’s imagine you’ve crossed this initial hurdle and emerged as a qualified candidate. Congratulations! The council will now arrange for the required home care services, relieving you of a significant part of the financial burden.

But what if your circumstances deem you ineligible for state-funded assistance? Here’s where we recall the quote, “When one door closes, another opens”. In such scenarios, don’t lose heart. The council is duty-bound to guide you towards other local sources of help. Like a faithful compass, it will point you in the direction of alternative resources and support systems.

Council Funding for Home Care is indeed a ray of sunshine in cloudy times, a trusted friend ready to help when the going gets tough. But always remember, every situation, every circumstance, every individual is unique. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Therefore, understanding your options, doing your research, and asking the right questions is crucial.

Understanding the Financial Assessment Process

In order to determine your contribution towards the home care costs, the council conducts a precise financial assessment. This examination, often referred to as a ‘means test’, is a rather meticulous endeavour. It scours through your income, pension, benefits, and savings. Think of it as a comprehensive evaluation of your economic affairs.

Surprisingly, contrary to what you might initially assume, not all of your assets are under the council’s microscope. Here’s a fun twist: the value of your possessions, life insurance policies, or even your property do not sway the course of the assessment. Consider these as your ‘safe’ treasures, left untouched in the course of the examination.

This financial investigation is led by a specialised individual, a Financial Assessment Officer. Picture them as a guide, helping you traverse the intricate pathways of this process. This officer is your personal financial Sherlock Holmes, analysing your economic situation during a home visit.

The outcome of this detective escapade, you ask? It’s your expected contribution towards the cost. The intriguing part here is that it’s proportional to your financial well-being. In simpler words, the wealthier you are, the more you’ll be expected to pitch in.

This financial assessment process may seem like a daunting task, but remember, it’s an essential step towards ensuring you receive the right amount of aid for your home care needs. As always, we, at PrimeCarers, stand ready to assist you on every step of this journey, clarifying the foggy areas and enlightening the paths.

Its a trap!

Some times councils will tell you that they cannot give you any funding for care at home, preferring for your loved ones to go into a care home. They can if you stand up for yourself.

If they own their home, this is a trap.

The moment their home is sold, they will exceed the financial thresholds for support and they will have to run their funds down until they once again qualify for help.

Council Funding Thresholds: How Does It Work?

Let’s delve into the financial guidelines for state-funded home care:

If Your Capital Exceeds £23,250

If your capital exceeds £23,250, you bear the full cost of the home care service. For instance, let’s say your mother needs assistance with daily activities. If your combined income and savings amount to £25,000, you would be expected to pay for her care entirely out of pocket.

Here’s a guide on The Cost of Live-In Care to help you better understand the potential expenses.

Between £14,250 and £23,250

If your capital falls within this range, the council contributes towards the home care costs. For example, if your father requires night-time care and your total capital is £20,000, the council would share the costs of his home care. Our Night-Time Carers Costs Guide can give you a clear idea of what these costs might look like.

Less Than £14,250

If your capital is less than £14,250, it isn’t included in the means test. In this scenario, the council will cover your home care costs, but your eligible income may be considered. For instance, if you’re trying to arrange care for both your parents and your total capital is £12,000, the council would provide financial assistance to cover the home care costs.

Reassessment of Financial Situation

If you’re self-funding your home care fees and notice your funds are nearing the £23,250 threshold, reach out to your local council to request a reassessment. They might provide additional financial assistance.

Visit your local council’s website or use the online locator on the government’s website for more information.

How to Initiate the Process?

Start by contacting the Adult Social Services department of your local council to conduct a care nees assesment.

Other Related Articles

James Bowdler


I founded and manage PrimeCarers, a Platform that connects Private Clients with Private Carers near them.

Local Carers Near

View All Carers Near

View All